Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies PIAAC
Finland take part in the OECD's international survey of adult competencies PIAAC (the Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies). The study assess the various basic skills needed by the adult population in different walks of life, as well as their application to work and everyday living.
Some 24 countries are participating in the study, initiated by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD. The initial results of the study was published in 8 October 2013.
The international survey showed that average literacy and numeracy skills among Finnish adults were excellent. Finnish adults were also among the best in the survey in their ability to solve problems in technology-rich environments. But there were many whose skills were weak too. The good average scores of Finland are largely thanks to the good skills of 20 to 39-year-olds, skills among older age groups are at the OECD average level.
Building a knowledge base for education and employment policies
The PIAAC study will survey
- adult literacy skills,
- numeracy skills,
- and problem solving skills in technology-rich environments.
The international aspects of PIAAC make the study particularly interesting. Information accrued in Finland can be compared to corresponding information from other countries, thus arriving at an even more comprehensive view of national development needs.
The study will be implemented through the co-operation of the Finnish Institute for Educational Research, University of Jyväskylä, and Statistics Finland. Implementation of the study is being steered by the Ministry of Education and Culture, the Ministry of Employment and the Economy, and the Finnish National Board of Education.
Further information is available from:
- Professor Antero Malin, University of Jyväskylä, Finnish Institute for Educational Research, tel. +358 50 411 6551
- Varpu Weijola, Chief Counsellor, Ministry of Employment and the Economy, tel. +358 29 50 48029
- Petri Haltia, Counsellor of Education, Ministry of Education and Culture, tel. +358 295 3 30096
- Petra Packalen, Councellor of Education, Finnish National Board of Education, tel. +358 29 533 1162